Tuesday 14 July 2015

The Task of Reading "The Golden Age" by Joan London as an e-book

Firstly, my bookshelves are overflowing and secondly, price-wise as a teacher of Prose, it's more cost effective to purchase an e-book.
 I am currently 30% through The Golden Age. When you buy an e-book these days esp. from Kobo they separate out the chapters and of course the pages are, for example, Chapter 7 The Trains p.1-102. THEY DO NOT show the pages (for the whole book) consecutively as Pages 1-256. I'm not sure why they do this? Perhaps it has something to do with switching from tablet, to iphone and then back to computer. The page marker will register where you're up to on each device. However, one has to have the contents page open on a laptop just in case there's an interruption, a low battery, etc. and you forget you're on Page 32 of Chapter 7, NOT Page 32 of  Chapter 6. The Poet. It's a testy concentration for any reader.  Nevertheless, I am enjoying London's poetic prose, and writing poetry myself, it's nice to have poetry mentioned in the narrative. There appears to be a cathartic reason to have poetry written by the main character Frank (who has polio), although any form of writing is therapeutic. But I guess I will find out as I read further into the book.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23008397-the-golden-age

0 comments:

Post a Comment